Wednesday, July 19, 2017

SALLY’S STORY – THE MIRACLE OF PAIRED KIDNEY DONATION

Sally M. (not her real name) was born with polycystic kidney disease (PKD), a condition that afflicts almost 600,000 people in the US. She was diagnosed with this dreadful disease when she was in her early 30’s. Just a few years ago, she had had her second child and she was busy being a mom and having a thriving small business that she ran with her husband, Chris.

Sally had known about PKD ever since she was a child.  Her own father also had PKD, which caused him to stop working when he was in his 40’s as his kidneys had stopped working completely and he had to undergo dialysis three times a week to stay alive. Upon the insistence of his kidney doctor, he was put on the transplant waiting list since he did not have anybody who could donate a kidney to him. After waiting for about four years, Sally’s father received a deceased donor kidney and he went on to live on for many years without having to be on dialysis.

Sally’s own family physician had referred her to a nephrologist many years ago so that he could keep an eye on her kidney function. At some point, he warned her, her own kidneys were going to start to shut down and she was going to have to be on dialysis, just like her dad. Now in her early 40’s, Sally’s kidneys had begun to get larger because of the growing cysts, which meant that she was moving closer to being on dialysis and needed to be evaluated for a kidney transplant.

Chris could no longer see his wife’s medical condition decline in front of his very eyes. He went to Sally’s nephrologist to be evaluated for being a live kidney donor. Based on the initial blood tests, he was found to have a different blood group and was therefore not a match for Sally. The nephrologist suggested paired donation and referred them to the university medical center for this procedure.

Paired donation is a relatively recent concept as a treatment option for kidney failure. The first live donor kidney transplant was between a set of identical twins in Boston. Transplant between these two brothers meant that as they were genetically identical, the donated kidney would not have any rejection episodes in the new recipient. Chris could not be a donor to Sally because his kidney would be immediately rejected by Sally’s body as their blood groups were not identical. With the help of paired donation, the transplant center was able to link them up with Jane and Fred (not their real names) who also were in a similar situation. Based on extensive testing, Jane could donate her kidney to Sally and Chris could donate his kidney to Fred. In this way, both Sally and Fred could avoid going on dialysis and receive healthy, live donor kidneys and have a long productive lives ahead of them.

The two couples lived approximately forty miles from each other. Therefore, on the day of the transplants, Chris became a donor to Fred at his transplant center while Sally received a kidney from Jane at her own hospital.  Both pairs did extremely well after their respective surgeries and continue to live healthy productive lives.

Paired donation has been able to save countless lives since it was first thought of in 1986. The first formal paired donation program was started in South Korea in 1991 and the first US paired donation was carried out at Rhode Island Hospital in 2000. After Johns Hopkins started the first US paired donation program in the US, many other similar programs have been started in different parts of the country. The National Kidney Registry carried out the longest chain of paired transplants in the country by having a 70 participant chain in 2014.

Today, both Sally and Jane are close friends, as are Chris and Fred. They serve as an inspiration to the power of collaboration and progressive scientific innovation to help combat the critical organ shortage in this country. More such pairs are needed to not only save lives but also millions of dollars that can serve to advance education and research to help end the agonizing wait for a transplant that thousands of people have to endure every year.


4 comments:

  1. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com OR info@drituaherbalcenter.com. We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy,Glaucoma.,Brain Tumor,psoriasis, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia. ,Bladder Cancer,Autism,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Tay tach disease,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, Seizures, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very much delighted. To everyone reading this,i want to inform the public on how i got cured from stage 2 ovarian cancer by Dr Itua Herbal Medicines. i have been suffering from ovarian cancer, and i have also taken treatment from my doctor but no way out,few weeks back i came on the internet to see if i will be able to get any information as to curing Cancers, on my search i saw various testimony of people who was healed from Uterine Cancers and Brain Tumors by the good doctor, called Dr Itua. without any hesitation, i contacted his email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com and i wrote him and and he guided me,i asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for me so i started using the medicine, after the period of three weeks given to me by Dr Itua i was completely cured nomore tumors on my body was found anymore. So dear viewer why living your life in therapist or chemo?contact him now on WhatsApp +2348149277967 he is able to cure the listed diseases:Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Pancreative Cancer,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Esophageal cancer,Kidney cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,
    Intestinal cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis.
    Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Throat cancer,Ocd,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HEPATITIS B
      I’m Stephanie Brown, I was diagnosed with Hepatitis B 4 years ago, I lived in pain with the knowledge that I wasn't going to ever be well again. I have used several antiviral medications, but this could not fight the virus of me rather I got side effects of fever, muscle and joint pain. After  spending so much money on antiviral drugs but I never get better. I made research on the internet for herbal medicine. AS I was determined to get my lifestyle back and to be able to do things I am restricted from doing, I saw a lady’s post on how Herbal Dr. JAMES cured her of HIV with his herbal mix medicine. I contacted the same Doctor through his email....Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com....we spoke, I told him all that I have been going through, and he told me not to worry that everything will be better again, so he prepared his herbal mix medicine and sent it to me through DHL courier company and told me the usage, after 21 days of completing the herbal medicine, I was totally free from Hepatitis B, I went to see a doctor for a blood test, After taking a sample of my blood for the test the result came out negative, I just can’t deny that I’m the happiest woman on earth this very moment, I’m so happy and thanks to Herbal Doctor JAMES,He also told me he cures  diseases   such as Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia, Autism. Bipolar disorder,  Shingles, Melasma, Underactive thyroid, Melanoma, Cancer, Weak Erection, Wart Remover, HPV, Herpes, Fibromyalgia, HIV, Hepatitis b,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory, Epilepsy, Fibroid, Diabetes, COPD, Back pain, Nephrotic syndrome, Infertility. Cardiovascular diseases. Lung diseases, Thyroid disorders, PCOS,Contact him on his email and get rid of your diseases, he is a good  man  Email....Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goji Berries... yes... I tried those too.For my health conditions, Those sweet, red berries seemed to help, but only during the time when I consumed them. I don't want to take a drug for the rest of my life, so why would I want to take a natural supplement everyday for the rest of my life (although Goji berries are very tasty and are highly nourishing). To me this was not a cure either (and I'm LOOKING for the CURE).
    Up to that point, I hadn't found a cure. I felt like a young jumbled mess. I continued to have extreme pain, but continued on my path to healing. I started to focus on myself and not everyone else. When I was a young adult, I took on too much responsibility out of a sense of obligation. This was no longer healthy for me, so I resigned from all my projects and groups. Those days to come were the best [and worst] days. I took a lot of time off work, yet began to feel so extremely exhausted. Many health professionals "diagnosed" me with adrenal fatigue & Hiv,Prostate Cancer so my situation was annoying then I keep searching for permanent cure online that's when I came to know of Dr Itua herbal center hands whom god has blessed with ancestral herbs and a gift to heal people with diseaseSo I made a purchase of his herbal medicines and I have been watching my health for 6 years now and I actually confirmed that his herbal medicines are a permanent cure and I'm so happy that I came to know of his herbal healings.You can contact Dr Itua herbal center Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com if you went through exactly what I go through in terms of health conditions because to be honest there is more to learn about natural herbs than medical drugs.

    ReplyDelete